Friday the 13th: The Game is a survival horror video game developed by IllFonic, and published by Gun Media. It is based on the film Friday the 13th owned by Paramount Pictures.
Reviewed on Xbox One; also available on Playstation 4.
In Friday the 13th the game players are divided into two balanced teams; seven counselors against the machete-wielding psycho Jason Vorhees. Trust me, while going up against Jason Vorhees this is balanced. On the counselor side of things, your main goal is to escape the clutches of Vorhees by any means necessary with your option of boat, vehicle, the Authorities, or simply trying to survive the time limit in the round. But it’s not so easy as it sounds… Nothing is easy while Jason’s around.
Each one of these tasks require multiple steps to pull them off, which makes the game much more entertaining and tense, giving Jason time to hunt down his victims, especially since each map has the items randomly generated scattered across the maps.
When you start the game as a counselor, you always gamble with the chance that you could die within the first 5 minutes of the game. If your lucky enough your teammates will have called support from Jason’s rival Tommy Jarvis already, which acts as your second chance at escaping Jason’s clutches.
There is also a way of killing Jason but it’s a very long multi step process and it’s really hard to pull in a public match. It takes up too much time and it’s easier for Jason to spot you and your group.
Without a doubt it’s much more exciting to play as Jason, but with that big of a lobby you mostly get stuck as playing a counselor, which is still fun for me, but not for others. On Jason’s side, it’s your job to hunt down each of the counselors using your special set of skills which consist of morph, sense, shift, stalk, and if by any chance you are having trouble as Jason, the developers activate Jason’s rage mode mid match, which enhances all his abilities and allows him to break doors and walls instantly.
I love how the in game currency is implemented in this game. At the end of the match, whether you escaped, were killed by Jason or were doing the hacking and slashing as Jason, everyone gets exp and Cp from all the actions they have done.
Your Cp can either be spent on additional perks and skills for the counselors or special executions which can be performed by Jason Vorhees. Leveling up unlocks new outfits for counselors and different variations of Jason from past movies.
Game chat is recommended because the developers made it more realistic. Voice chat is limited to a proximity so it’s best to find a group and stick with them. Be careful though if Jason is nearby he can hear and foil your plans, so keep those mics muted when he’s around. When Jason is in pursuit of a counselor the music will change drastically to a 80s like slasher chase scene. Music is soft and melodic usually drowned out by the characters and Jason sound effects.
Graphics in Friday The 13th are dull and lack features. Overall just really bland. In future updates, character’s animation and graphics should get a major improvement.
Overall Friday the 13th the game is an excellent game to play with friends and is a game that is able to create new friendships whether playing as a counselor or playing as Jason.
- Customization is on point with variety love the idea of proximity chat, love how teamwork comes into play the game is better player with friends but even with random people online you’re sure to have a good time.
- Loads of fun and suspense.
- When you start the game as a counselor you always gamble with the chance that you could die within the first 5 minutes of the game.
- It’s extremely hard to kill Jason.
- Tons of glitches are found in this game from characters spazzing out to game cheating glitches. If no one has a mic the game feels ruined because communication is key; without it don’t expect to win often.
- The quick match servers do not work properly and are constantly looking at the loading symbol.
- To play a match you have to go to a private server and invite a bunch a randoms to join your game or go to the looking for groups tab and hop into a lobby.
Even with the bugs and the glitches, hands down Friday the 13 the game is one of the best movie driven video games of all time.
Friday The 13th The Game
- Fun playing as Jason
- Very intense gameplay
- proximity chat
- Leveling up system
- Bugs and game breaking glitches
- Long matches if dead first
- Not as much fun playing as a counslor
- Quick Match Servers are broken