Play the new Minecraft on Xbox, mobile, VR and Windows 10 today! The big day is finally here!
It’s probably the most significant update Mojang has made in Minecraft’s recent history – They are releasing a new version of the game that lets players on Xbox, mobile, VR and Windows 10 play together!
HOW TO GET THE NEW VERSION FOR FREE
If you own the digital version of Minecraft: Xbox One Edition, we’re giving you the new Minecraft game for free!
Plus, for a limited time only, the new Minecraft is free to owners of the disc version of Minecraft: Xbox One Edition (so long as you played it for more than 5 hours in the last year, or bought any DLC for it). So check it out sharpish, while the offer lasts!
*Owners of a digital version of Minecraft: Xbox One Edition can download the new, updated game in the Xbox Store for free. Until January 30th, 2018, owners of the disc version of Minecraft: Xbox One Edition can download the new game once they have played Minecraft for 5 or more hours in the past 12 months OR purchased a DLC Pack.
It lets you access oodles of player-made goodness on Marketplace! It lets you take that Marketplace goodness from one device to another! It lets you play your Realm on console (for example), hop off, then pick up where you left off on your phone! It lets you join massive servers, with communities numbering in millions of players and eccentric minigames to suit every taste!
And that’s just the stuff they are doing on top of the core game itself. This new version of Minecraft also introduces the supported platforms to parrots, banners, armour stands, stained glass, fireworks, new world start options, new game rules, host options, the recipe book and loads, loads more. All that, and it lets you marvel at the True Beauty of coarse dirt for the first time! Wow! Coarse dirt! Just, wow.
The work doesn’t stop there. Mojang has got loads more cool stuff to show you with this new version of Minecraft – for example, did you know you can share invite links to Realms now?! You can! (Except on Xbox One – that will be working in the very near future.)
- Explore randomly generated worlds and build amazing things from the simplest of homes to the grandest of castles. Play in creative mode with unlimited resources or mine deep into the world in survival mode, crafting weapons and armor to fend off the dangerous mobs.
- Skin, texture, and mash-up packs from the community! Find out more at minecraft.net/marketplace.
- ADD-ONS! Learn more at minecraft.net/addons, where you can try some examples for free or learn to create your own.
- Realms! Play with up to 10 friends cross-platform in worlds that exist anytime, anywhere. Try a free 30-day trial in-app and learn more at http://minecraft.net/realms.
- Xbox Live support, including achievements
- Cross-platform play for up to eight players across Windows 10 PCs, Android devices, iOS phones and tablets, Xbox One, and virtual reality platforms.
- Slash commands to let you tweak how the game plays – you can give items away, summon mobs, change the time of day, and more.
Mojang is still working on getting this new version of Minecraft ready for players on Nintendo Switch. They just want to make sure that everything is ready to bring this platform onboard, and there’s a lot of work to do to make that happen. After all, no one has ever done anything like this before in the history of gaming. It is expect to be ready with the free Better Together Update on Switch this winter.
As previously mentioned, you can get this new version of Minecraft for free if you already own an edition of Minecraft for Xbox One, and you’ll get the Better Together Update automagically on Android, iOS and Windows 10.
If you own the Xbox One Edition of the game on disc, be prepared for a short wait before your free download of the new Minecraft is available – it may take a day or two to process all the requests.